Ben is a Consultant Gastrolenterologist practicing at CircleBath. He was appointed as a Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist in 2010 and has a full time NHS contract at the Royal United Hospital, Bath where he is Endoscopy Lead Clinician.
Ben trained at Southampton University Medical School between 1993 and 1998. Following house jobs, he worked at a number of hospitals within Wessex before specialising in Gastroenterology.
He spent 3 years as a research fellow at the University of Bath understanding the molecular mechanisms of Barrett's oesophagus, oesophageal cancer and other gastrointestinal cancers.
He has a specialist interest in :
- Heartburn and gastro-oesophageal reflux disease
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Crohn's disease and Ulcerative Colitis
- Gastrointestinal cancers
- Barrett's Oesophagus
- Gall stones, biliary disease and endoscopic treatment
- Iron deficiency anaemia
- Unexplained pain and diarrhoea
He performs all endoscopic procedures and monitors his success rates on a regular basis:
- Gastroscopy (endoscopy of the oesophagus and stomach)
- Colonoscopy (endoscopy of the entire large bowel)
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy (endoscopy of the lower large bowel)
- ERCP (endoscopy of the biliary tree e.g. gallstones)
- Oesophageal dilatation and stenting
Ben offers appointments once a week on variable days and can arrange evening attendance.
Current NHS or research position
Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist at the Royal United Hospital, Bath.
Year of first medical qualification
Special clinical interests
Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Indigestion and reflux
Barrett's oesophagus and gastro-oesophageal reflux
Current membership(s) of professional, national and regional bodies
British Society of Gastroenterology
Membership of Royal College of Physicians
American Gastroenterology Association