He undertakes surgery for brain and spinal conditions. He deals with the full range of intracranial pathology but has a special interest and expertise in the surgery of brain tumours and spinal cord tumours.
He is the lead clinician for Brain and CNS tumours at North Bristol NHS Trust, chairs the Brain tumours Multi-disciplinary team and the Brain tumour site-specific group of the Somerset Wiltshire Avon and Gloucestershire (SWAG) Cancer network.
He specialises in complex brain and spinal tumour surgery with neurophysiological monitoring, language mapping and intraoperative MRI assistance.
He also specialises in surgery for degenerative conditions of the cervical and lumbar spine such as lumbar microdiscectomy, lumbar decompression, cervical and lumbar micro foraminotomy, anterior cervical discectomy and fusion
These surgeries would be performed for releasing trapped nerves due to disc prolapse, osteophytes or slippage of the spine leading to compressed nerves or spinal cord.
All his approaches are minimally invasive and he aims to achieve maximum symptom relief with minimum discomfort.
He is part of a close team of spinal surgeons, pain specialists and physiotherapists at Circle Bath Hospital who aim to provide a comprehensive service for spinal degenerative conditions and is a keen believer in rapid diagnosis and symptom relief.
Current NHS and teaching positions
- Consultant Neurosurgeon and Lead Neuro-Oncology Surgeon at Southmead Hospital, North Bristol NHS Trust
- Member of Specialty Accreditation Council for Neurosurgery, Royal College of Surgeons, England
- Examiner for Intercollegiate Examinations in Neurosurgery, Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
Special clinical interests
- Brain and spinal cord tumours
- Spinal degenerative conditions
- Minimally invasive surgery to the brain and spine
- Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons, Glasgow
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy, England
- Fellow of NHS Leadership Academy
- Associate Fellow of Faculty of Surgical Training, Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- Member of Society of British Neurosurgeons
- Member of Society of Neuro-Oncology
- Member of European Spinal Society
- Member of European Association of Neurosurgeons
- International Member of Congress of Neurological Surgeons