Mr Karuppiah is a Consultant Foot and Ankle Surgeon who graduated from JIPMER, Pondicherry, India. He started his surgical career in Aberdeen, Scotland and completed Membership exams. Subsequently, he was appointed as a clinical tutor at the University of Aberdeen and did research towards a higher degree. He completed his National Orthopaedic Training Programme in the East Midlands working at various hospitals, including the Queen Medical Centre, Nottingham, Derby Hospitals and Kingsmill Hospital, Mansfield.
He has recently completed an accredited International specialist training in Foot and Ankle Fellowship from Australia and currently is a full-time consultant at the Nottingham NHS Treatment Centre.
Sub specialist training - Fellowships:
Foot and Ankle Fellowship, Adelaide, Australia
Lower Limb Reconstruction Fellowship, Manchester, UK
Trauma Fellowship, Johannesburg, South Africa
Mr Karuppiah is married with two children.
Consultant Foot and Ankle Surgeon, Circle Nottingham
Lead for Research and Development, Circle Nottingham
Foot and ankle surgery
Minimal invasive surgery for bunions
1st MTP joint replacement
Sports related injuries
Foot and ankle deformity correction
Rheumatoid foot and ankle
Orthopaedic clinical outcome
British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (BOFAS)
Fellow Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh) (FRCS –Tr&Ortho)
British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
British Medical Association (BMA)
Best Research Presentation – Derby, 2014
Best Research Poster Award – SIROT, Morocco, 2007
Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh – Henry Wade Travelling Fund, 2006
Mr Karuppiah has extensively published in various International journals and presented both at National and International meetings.
- Reliability of Ultrasound in the diagnosis of Morton’s neuroma. AOA Regional Scientific Meeting, Feb 2018, Adelaide, Australia.
- A comparison of Local flaps vs Free flaps for open lower limb fractures: effect of flap choice on healing time, complications and patient reported outcome. AOA Regional Scientific Meeting, Feb 2018, Adelaide, Australia.
- Tibiotalocalcaneal nail as a treatment option for elderly patients with of ankle fractures. Australian Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS), Aug 2017, Noosa, Australia.
- Functional outcomes following percutaneous Achilles tendon repair using the Tenolig implant. Australian Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS), Aug 2017, Noosa, Australia.
- Zadek procedure as a treatment option in Haglund’s deformity. Australian Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS), Aug 2017, Noosa, Australia.
- Comparision of both arthroscopic and open techniques for arthrodesis ankle. AOA Annual Scientific Meeting, Nov 2017, Adelaide, Australia.