Mr Tony Andrade
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Circle Reading Hospital
0118 922 6888
Mr Tony Andrade, MBBS, FRCS(Tr&Orth), is a consultant Orthopaedic, Hip and Knee Surgeon at Circle Reading Hospital. He graduated from the London Hospital Medical College and was a surgical trainee in the Wessex region of the South of England before being fellowship trained in hip and knee surgery at Sportsmed-SA in Adelaide, South Australia, where he first learned hip arthroscopy. He was also fellowship trained in trauma surgery at the Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, USA.
Mr Andrade has a specialist interest in the Young Adult Hip, having established a hip arthroscopy service in Reading, in 2002, and is widely considered to be a UK pioneer of hip arthroscopy. He is a board member of ISHA – The Hip Preservation Society and is on the Non-Arthroplasty Hip Registry (NAHR) user group for the British Hip Society.
He is regularly invited to lecture nationally and internationally on hip preservation topics, and to teach on national and international hip arthroscopy and arthroplasty courses. He has multiple publications in peer reviewed journals on these topics.
Mr Andrade now offers knee replacements using the latest robotics-assisted technology at Circle Reading Hospital. The NAVIO Surgical system helps some of the country’s leading surgeons to deliver even greater accuracy during your operation, while also eliminating the need for a CT scan before surgery.
Find out more about the NAVIO Surgical System and how it can help you.
Mr Andrade went to school in two different countries and trained in Trauma and Orthopaedic surgery in three different continents. He has a love of all motorsports (particularly F1 racing). In the winter months, he is happiest on skis, and in the summer he is happiest on the water, which allows him to continue to enjoy international travel discovering the wonders of different cultures.
He is married and has three sons and so now enjoys watching his sons developing expertise in their own preferred sports.
Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon at the Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust.
- Young adult hip problems including hip arthroscopy and corrective osteotomies
- Arthroscopic knee surgery including ligament reconstruction and patellofemoral stabilisation
- Primary hip replacement, revision hip and knee replacement surgery including hip resurfacing
Tony Andrade completed an MSc in Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Technology from the University of Dundee in 2004, with a dissertation on "The Tensile Properties of the Medial Patellofemoral Ligament".
His research interests include:
- Femoroacetabular impingement - natural history, pathoanatomy and the effects of arthroscopic surgical treatments
- Prevention and treatment of infection in Orthopaedic Surgery
- BMA (British Medical Association)
- BOA (British Orthopaedic Association)
- ESSKA (European Society of Sports Traumatology Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy)
- ISHA (International Society for Hip Arthroscopy)
- AOAA (AO Alumni Association)
- AAOS (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons - Affiliate)
- BASK (British Association for Surgery of the Knee)
- Knee pain diagnosis & treatment
- Knee replacement surgery
- Kneecap stabilisation surgery
- Knee realignment surgery (osteotomy)
- Meniscal repair surgery
- ACL reconstruction surgery
- Hip arthroscopy
- Hip replacement surgery
- Hip replacement revision surgery
- Hip resurfacing
- Knee arthroscopy
- Kneecap joint replacement surgery
- Knee cartilage surgery
- Bone spurs
- Hip dislocation
- Joint pain
- Femoro-acetabular impingement
- Labral tear in the hip