Mr Simon Middleton
Consultant General & Colorectal Surgeon
Circle Reading Hospital
0118 922 6888
Mr Simon Middleton carried out his general surgical training in the South Thames (West) region. His sub-specialty training is in colorectal surgery and his Master of Surgery research was carried out during a two year period at the world-renowned St Mark’s Hospital, Harrow. This culminated in the publication of his thesis, which was appraised as a work “of the highest international standard”.
He is a highly experienced surgeon, and the most senior colorectal surgeon in the region. He is Chairman of the colorectal cancer Multidisciplinary Team at the Royal Berkshire Hospital and is shortly to become the Clinical Lead for the Department of General Surgery for the second time. He is the founder of Berkshire General Surgeons and strives to offer the highest possible standard of care in general and colorectal surgery.
Simon is the Medical Director of the British Haemorrhoid Association, and was responsible for the successful introduction of the haemorrhoidal artery ligation operation (HALO) to the UK, the most modern technique in the management of haemorrhoids. He has the most experience of any UK surgeon in the technique and trains UK and overseas surgeons. He subsequently introduced the state of the art wireless HALO Trilogy™ operation. More recently he has introduced the Rafaelo procedure to the region. He has published in medical and non-medical journals as well as books and newspapers. One of his patients appeared in the Daily Mail describing her experience of the HALO procedure.
Simon also teaches medical students in the region and is a proud examiner at the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. He examines both in Edinburgh and at international venues around the world.
Simon's clinical interests are in the minimally invasive (keyhole) treatment of bowel cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, bowel incontinence as well as general surgical problems including hernias and gall bladder disease (gallstones). He also specialises in the treatment of anal and rectal disorders such as haemorrhoids, fissures, fistulas and abscesses, He is highly experienced in diagnostic procedures including OGD, flexible sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy.
New minimally invasive procedures for colorectal cancer (TME, ta-TME)
Association of Surgeons
Association of Coloproctologists of Great Britain and Ireland
Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons
- Singer BR, Middleton SB. Thoracolumbar vertebral fractures without neurological deficit: A long term follow up study of British Army personnel. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1994; 76-B: Supp 1: 38.
- Andrew DR, Middleton SB, Richardson DR. A comparison of laparoscopic and open inguinal hernia repair in servicemen. JR Med Corps 1994; 140:78-80.
- Andrew DR, Middleton SB Richardson DR. Small bowel obstruction after laparoscopic hernia repair. Hosp Update 1994; 20(9): 468.
- Andrew DR, Middleton SB, Richardson DR. Early experience with laparoscopic herniorrhaphy: results of the first 60 procedures. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 1994; 76: 352.
- Middleton SB, Foley SJ, Foy MA. Partial excision of the clavicle for non-union in National Hunt Jockeys. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1995; 77-B: 778-780.
- Middleton SB, Foley SJ, Stitson D, Mahoney M. Testicular Cancer in RAF personnel. Br J Urol 1995; 75: 45-47.
- Middleton SB, Whitbread TK, Morgans BT, Mason PF. Combination of skin temperature and a single white cell count does not improve diagnostic accuracy in acute appendicitis. Br J Surg 1996; 83: 499.
- Pocard M, Middleton SB, Northover JMA, Poupon MF. Intérêt des modèles d’étude de cancers coliques humains chez la souris nude par implantation intracaecale chirurgicale. Annales de Chirurgie 1999; 53: 227-232.
- Clark SK, Middleton SB, Phillips RKS. Is it really not familial adenomatous polyposis? Dis Colon Rectum 2000; 43(1): 113.
- Middleton SB, Frayling IM, Phillips, RKS. Desmoids in familial adenomatous polyposis are monoclonal proliferations. Br J Cancer 2000; 82 (4): 827-32.
- Middleton SB, Fidler K, Hyer W, Phillips RKS. Familial adenomatous polyposis complicated by an intrahepatic desmoid tumour: report of a case. Dis Colon Rectum. 2000; 43(7): 1012-4.
- Middleton SB, Pack K, Phillips RKS. Telomere length in familial adenomatous polyposis-associated desmoids. Dis Colon Rectum 2000; 43(11): 1535-40.
- Middleton SB, Phillips RKS. Surgery for large intra-abdominal desmoid tumours. Dis Colon Rectum 2000; 43(12): 1759-63.
- Shah J, Middleton SB, Derodra J. Paediatric abdominal trauma. Postgrad Med J. 2001; 77(909): E2.
- Shah J, Middleton SB, Derodra J. Massive scrotal haematoma; a complication of transluminal angioplasty. Int J Clin Pract 2001; 55(10); 722.
- Davies ML, Middleton SB and Mellor SG. Mistaken Identity: Cystic parathyroid adenoma masquerading as a goitre. Internet J Surg 2002; 3: 2.
- Middleton SB, Clark SK, Matravers P, Katz D, Reznek R, Phillips RKS. Stepwise progression of familial adenomatous polyposis-associated desmoids precursor lesions demonstrated by a novel CT scoring system. Dis Col Rect 2003; 46(4): 481-5.
- Kitching A and Middleton SB. Enhanced recovery after major surgery. Is there a conflict with intensive care outreach? Care Crit Ill 2007; 23(6):155-156.
- Middleton SB, Lovegrove RE, Reece-Smith H. Management of haemorrhoids: Symptoms govern treatment. Br Med J 2008 ; 336(7642): 461
- Evans CF, Hyder SA, Middleton SB. Modern surgical management of haemorrhoids. Pelviperineology 2008; 27(4): 139-142.
- Wilkerson PM, Strbac M, Reece-Smith H, Middleton SB. Doppler-guided haemorrhoidal artery ligation: long-term outcome and patient satisfaction. Colorectal Dis 2009; 11(4): 394-400.
- Abbas A, Lim J, Traer E, Petsas A., Middleton SB, Waldman C. The use of activated protein C and human immunoglobulin in a patient with necrotising fasciitis: Case report and review of the literature. Care Crit Ill 2009; 25(2): 55-58.
- Goede AC, Middleton SB. Comment on: anatomical branches of the superior rectal artery in the distal rectum. Colorectal Disease 2010 Jan;12(1):74; author reply 74-6.
- Randall JK, Goede A, Morgan-Warren P, Middleton SB. Randomised clinical trial of the influence of local subcutaneous infiltration versus subcutaneous and deep infiltration of local anaesthetic on pain after appendicectomy. Colorectal Disease 2010 May; 12( 5): 477-479.
- Forrest NP, Mullerat J, Evans C, Middleton SB. Doppler-guided haemorrhoidal artery ligation with recto-anal repair: a new technique for the treatment of symptomatic haemorrhoids. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2010: 25; 1251-1256.
- Antonowicz SS, Al-Whouhayb, Middleton SB. Total mesorectal excision for cancer following ventral mesh rectopexy. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2013 Sep; 95(6); 95-96.
- Govindarajah N, Hameed W, Middleton SB, Booth MI. Actinomyces infection causing acute right iliac fossa pain.
- BMJ Case Reports 2014; doi:10.1136/bcr-2014-204559.
- Akbari K, Wood C, Hammad A, Middleton SB. De Garengeot's hernia: our experience of three cases and literature review. BMJ Case Reports 2014; doi:10.1136/bcr-2014-205031.
- Agha K, Akbari K, Abbas SH, Middleton SB, McGrath D. Acrometastasis following colorectal cancer: A case report and review of literature. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2016;29:158-161