Mr James Berstock
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Circle Bath Hospital
01761 422 222
After completing his surgical training as a specialist orthopaedic surgeon, James undertook a further three years of advanced surgical training to learn the latest techniques and strategies for helping patients with hip and knee problems. He was the 2018 recipient of the Current Concepts in Joint Replacement Scholarship, an award that was presented to him in Las Vegas for career-long achievements in the field of hip and knee joint replacement. He spent a year in Vancouver working in one of the world’s most prestigious and impressive arthroplasty units, gaining a wealth of experience in hip and knee joint replacement. His other fellowships include the Bristol hip surgery fellowship where he gained additional experience in hip preservation and arthroscopic hip surgery, and a fellowship in complex adult lower limb trauma.
His formal academic training has been acquired as the advanced hip research fellow in Bristol where he completed his MD thesis exploring how different approaches to hip and knee surgery can improve the results for patients. Following this, he completed an NIHR funded Clinical Lectureship at the University of Bristol. His research interests are focussed on getting the best possible results for patients. He currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief of Hip International which helps keep him on top of the very latest developments in his field.
James is married and has two children. His sporting achievements are a fond but increasingly distant memory, reaching county standard at both cricket and hockey. He still enjoys keeping fit by running, playing golf and the occasional cricket match. Most time away from work is spent exploring the countryside as a family.
Consultant Hip and Knee Orthopaedic Surgeon
Year of first medical qualification
Hip preservation and hip replacement surgery, knee replacement and revision of failed hip and knee replacements
Optimising patient outcomes and minimising complications following hip and knee surgery
European Hip Society
2017 PGCertMedEd Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education, University of Bristol
2016 MD Doctor of Medicine, University of Bristol
2015 FRCS Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (Tr&Orth)
2008 MRCS Member of the Royal College of Surgeons
2005 MBChB University of Bristol Medical School
2018 Current Concepts in Joint Replacement Foundation Award, USA
2017 Best Research Presentation, Research and Innovation Conference
2016 Best QI Paper Presentation, Severn School of Surgery Annual Meeting
2015 Hampson Memorial Prize for Orthopaedic Research
2014 Best Scientific Paper Presentation, SWOC Autumn meeting
- Berstock JR, Whitehouse MR. How to prepare and manage a systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical studies. EFORT Open Rev. 2019 May 28;4(5):213-220.
- Alazzawi S, Berstock J. Use of work-based assessments in postgraduate medical education. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2019 May 2;80(5)285:287.
- Barrett MC, Robertson-Waters EE, Whitehouse MR, Blom AW, Berstock JR. Trochanteric spurs and surface irregularities on plain radiography are not predictive of greater trochanteric pain syndrome. Hip Int. 2019 Mar;11:in press.
- Whitehouse MR, Berstock JR, Kelly MB, Gregson CL, Judge A, Sayers A, Chesser TJ. Higher 30-day mortality associated with the use of intramedullary nails compared with sliding hip screws for the treatment of trochanteric hip fractures. Bone Joint J. 2019 Jan;101-B(1):83-91.
- Berstock JR. Registry studies. Hip Int. 2018 May;28(3):221.
- Berstock JR, Beswick AD, Lopez-Lopez JA, Whitehouse MR, Blom AW. Mortality after total knee arthroplasty: A systematic review of incidence, temporal trends, and risk factors. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2018 Jun 20; 100(12):1064-70.
- Berstock JR, Murray JR, Whitehouse MR, Blom AW, Beswick AD. Medial subvastus versusthe medial parapatellar approach for total knee replacement: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. EFORT Open Rev. 2018 Mar 26;3(3):78-84.
- Berstock JR, Torrie PA, Whitehouse MR. Editorial review: Equalisation of leg lengths in total hip arthroplasty for patients with Crowe type-IV developmental dysplasia of the hip. Ann Joint 2018;3:3.
- Berstock JR, Whitehouse MR, Duncan CP. Trunnion corrosion: What surgeons need to know in 2018. Bone Joint J. 2018 Jan;100-B(1 Supple A):44-49.
- Robertson-Waters E, Berstock JR, Whitehouse MR, Blom AW. Surgery for greater trochanteric pain syndrome after total hip replacement confers a poor outcome. Int Orthop. 2018 Jan;42(1):77-85.
- Berstock JR, Blom AW, Whitehouse MR. A comparison of the omega and posterior approaches on patient reported function and radiological outcomes following total hip replacement. J Orthop. 2017 Jun 24;14(3):390-393.
- Lee GRH, Berstock JR, Whitehouse MR, Blom AW. Recall and patient perceptions of hip precautions 6 weeks after total hip arthroplasty. Acta Orthop. 2017 Jul 12:1-4.
- Sayers A, Whitehouse MR, Berstock JR, Harding KA, Kelly MB, Chesser TJ. The association between the day of the week of milestones in the care pathway of patients with hip fracture and 30-day mortality: findings from a prospective national registry - The National Hip Fracture Database of England and Wales. BMC Med. 2017 Mar 27;15(1):62.
- Berstock JR, Whitehouse MR. Letter to the Editor: One in 200 knee replacement patients die within 90 days of surgery. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2017 Feb; DOI 10.1007/s11999-017-5247-3.
- Fletcher D, Edwards D, Baker R, Tolchard S, Berstock JR. Improving theatre turnaround time. BMJ Qual Improv Rep. 2017 Feb 10;6(1).
- Berstock JR. How to perform a meta-analysis. JBORG. 2016 Dec; 5:34-5.
- Berstock JR. An illustrated history of hip joint surgery: from Hippocrates to Charnley. Hip Int. 2015 Jan 25(1):1.
- Berstock JR, Beswick AD, Blom AW. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the lateral and posterior approaches to total hip replacement. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2015 Jan; 97(1):11-16.
- Berstock JR. How to perform a systematic review. JBORG. 2014 Dec; 5:34-5.
- Berstock JR, Hughes AM, Lindh AM, Smith EJ. A radiographic comparison of femoral offset after cemented and cementless total hip arthroplasty. Hip Int. 2014 Dec 5;24(6):582-586.
- Berstock JR, Torrie PA, Smith JR, Webb JC, Baker RP. Stem compatibility for cement-in-cement femoral revision: An in-vitro study. Hip Int. 2014 Sep-Oct;24(5):434-41.
- Berstock JR, Beswick AD, Blom AW. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the standard versus mini-incision posterior approach to total hip arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2014 Oct; 29(10):1970-1982.
- Berstock JR, Beswick AD, Lengeurrand E, Whitehouse MR, Blom AW. Mortality after total hip replacement surgery: A systematic review. Bone Joint Res. 2014 Jun; 3(6):175-82.
- Berstock JR, Whitehouse M, Piper D, Eastaugh-Waring S, Blom A. A 5-8 year retrospective follow-up of the C-stem AMT femoral component: Patient reported outcomes and survivorship analysis. J Arthroplasty. 2014 Sep; 29(9):1753-7.
- Berstock JR, Baker R, Case CP, Bannister GC. Histology of failed metal on metal arthroplasty: three distinct subtypes. Hip Int. 2014; May-Jun; 24(3):243-8.
- Berstock JR, Beswick A. Adverse events in systematic reviews: Importance of contacting authors for data on adverse events when compiling systematic reviews. BMJ. 2014 Feb 5; 348:g1394.
- Torrie PA, Berstock JR, Hayward EB, Bannister GC. Publish or perish - how to avoid perishing. Med Teach. 2013; 35(3):260.
- Berstock JR, Bunni J, Thorpe P. Caution; laparoscopic biopsy of a large pelvic mass may result in disaster. J Minim Invasive Gynaecol. 2012 Sept-Oct; 19(5):651-53.
- Smith A, Wylde V, Berstock JR, McLean A, Blom A. Surgical approach and patient-reported outcomes after total hip replacement. Hip Int. 2012 Jul-Aug; 22(4):355-361.
- Bunni J, Teichmann D, Berstock JR. Pouch of Douglas Hernia: A rare entity managed via the laparoscopic approach. 2012 Oct; 16(5):601-603.
- Berstock JR, Bradford O. Improving tip-apex distance intraoperatively. Techniques in Orthopaedics.2012; 27(1):83.
- Berstock JR, Barakat MJ, Annamalai S, Ahmad R, Gillespie G, Spencer RF. An early comparison of clinical and mechanical aspects of hybrid and uncemented hip resurfacing. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2010; 20:623-7.
- Berstock JR, Bunni J, Torrie AP. The Squelching hip: a sign of life threatening sepsis following haemorrhoidectomy. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2010; 92(5):39-41.
- Berstock JR, Spencer RF. A comparison of digital and manual templating using PACS images. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2010 Jan; 92(1):73-4.
- Annamalai SKM, Berstock JR, Shannon MN. The Hoffa fracture: a case report. British Journal of Medical Practitioners. 2008; 1(2):36-37.
Free text comments taken from anonymous and independent GMC feedback:
Very professional. Felt reassured
Probably the politest Doctor I've seen
Nothing negative! At my age everyone looks so young, including him, a surgeon!
First visit and very helpful!
Very welcoming, friendly and making sure I understood the problem.
Excellent manner, information - highly recommend.
Really polite helpful about my treatment to recovery
Everyone very friendly and polite. Clean waiting room, quick service - not too long to wait
Had really bad experience as a child with orthopaedic doctor and he has restored my faith
He was nice
The doctor listened and was very understanding as my daughter is blind and was having a seizure during her appointment
Very good service
Couldn't wish for better treatment
Very kind and helpful
Very good at his job listened and explained everything without rushing.
Excellent care from this doctor. Would happily see him again.
Very polite. Fantastic guy.
Collated results from GMC feedback (all responses from 2016-2019):
100% of patients gave top rating for LISTENING
100% of patients gave top rating for POLITE
100% of patients gave top rating for EXPLAINING
100% of patients gave top rating for feeling confident in James’s ability
98% of patients gave top rating for FELT AT EASE
92% of patients gave top rating for INVOLVING IN DECISION MAKING
100% of patients gave top rating for COMPLETELY HAPPY TO SEE AGAIN