Mr Greg Jones
Consultant General Surgeon
Circle Reading Hospital
0118 922 6888
Greg is a Consultant General Surgeon at Circle Reading Hospital. He was appointed as Consultant General, Upper GI and Bariatric Surgeon at The Royal Berkshire Hospital, Reading in 2015. His remit was to help develop the Bariatric (weight loss) surgery services into an International Level 1 Unit.
Greg qualified from Imperial College, London in 2003. He undertook his initial surgical training at Guy’s and St. Thomas’ hospitals in London. This was followed by specialist training in the Oxford regional training programme and in 2012 he became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (FRCS). Greg then had further sub-specialty training in minimally invasive Bariatric and Upper GI surgery in Reading and Oxford, and in 2014 completed his Higher Surgical training (CCT)with sub-specialty interest in Upper GI surgery.
Greg completed his training with the sought after Upper GI and Bariatric surgery fellowship at Monash Medical Centre, Melbourne. Greg was appointed as their first international fellow. Here he developed expertise in all forms of Bariatric surgery, complex minimally invasive gallbladder, hernia and anti-reflux surgery.
Currently, Greg’s main focus is on developing Bariatric surgery for both NHS and Private patients in the Thames Valley region. He works closely with fellow surgeons, dieticians, psychologists and specialist nurses in order to provide a comprehensive and effective support for patients’ weight loss journey.
Greg’s other interests are all forms of hernia surgery (keyhole, complex reconstruction), minimally invasive benign upper GI surgery, including gallbladder and bile duct surgery, anti-reflux and hiatus hernia surgery, surgery for achalasia. He is also provides diagnostic and therapeutic upper GI endoscopy (OGD).
Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust
- Weight loss Surgery including; gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, gastric band, gastric balloon.
- Hernia surgery including; laparoscopic and open surgery for groin hernias, laparoscopic and open surgery for abdominal wall surgery, including reconstruction
- Laparoscopic gall bladder and bile duct surgery
- Anti-reflux and hiatal hernia surgery including; laparoscopic,primary and revisional surgery.
- General surgery including; skin and subcutaneous lesions, upper GI endoscopy, laparoscopic surgery, gastrointestinal surgery and paediatric general surgery.
Obesity, weight loss and metabolic surgery
Royal College of Surgeons of England
British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS)
International Federation of Obesity Surgery (IFSO)
Association of Upper GI Surgeons (AUGIS), British Association of Paediatric Surgeons (BAPS)