Mr Ben Lankester
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Circle Bath Hospital
01761 422 222
Ben Lankester is a specialist knee surgeon at Circle Bath and has been a consultant since 2007. After training in Oxford, Bath and Bristol, he completed fellowship training in arthroscopic knee cartilage surgery, knee ligament reconstruction, traumatic knee injuries and all types of knee replacement surgery.
As a specialist knee surgeon, he is often referred patients by colleagues for a second opinion or for more complex surgery. He has an active interest in teaching and research, and reviews articles for three different orthopaedic journals. In 2017 he was elected to the South West Clinical Senate Council – a body that advises on reforming healthcare pathways across the region.
Mr Lankester submits data from all joint replacement operations to the National Joint Registry, from which he can show that improvements in function after surgery and re-operation rates are better than average in his patients. He also uses the National Knee Ligament registry for ACL reconstruction operations which enables patients to assess their own progress, both before and after surgery.
He spends the majority of his spare time with his young family, and enjoys cycling, running, triathlon and occasional golf.
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at Yeovil District Hospital.
Arthroscopic (keyhole) knee surgery
Knee cartilage surgery including regeneration techniques
Cruciate ligament reconstruction
Partial and total knee replacement
Revision knee replacement surgery
Patella (kneecap) stabilisation
Mr Lankester is the Primary Investigator at Yeovil Hospital for several multicentre knee trials, including:
- The timing of surgery after ACL rupture (ACL SNNAP trial)
- The use of local anaesthetic infiltration for pain relief after knee replacement surgery (SPAARK trial)
- Partial vs total knee replacement (TOPKAT trial)
- The use of intensive physiotherapy input in patients recovering from knee surgery (TRIO trial)
He also has a research interest in rapid recovery after knee replacement surgery, patella stabilisation surgery techniques and computer-guided knee replacement surgery.
British Association for Surgery of the Knee
British Orthopaedic Association
British Orthopaedic Directors Society
South West Clinical Senate Council
- Knee arthroplasty
- Knee replacement surgery (partial)
- Knee realignment surgery (osteotomy)
- Kneecap stabilisation surgery
- Knee replacement surgery
- ACL reconstruction surgery
- Meniscal repair surgery
- Knee pain diagnosis & treatment
- Posterior cruciate ligament reconstruction
- Knee cartilage surgery
- Knee tendonitis
- Knee dislocation
- Knee ligament repair/ reconstruction