Dr Ben Colleypriest
Circle Bath Hospital
01761 422 222
Ben is a Consultant Gastroenterologist practicing at Circle Bath Hospital. He was appointed as a Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist in 2010 and has a full time NHS contract at the Royal United Hospital, Bath where he is Endoscopy Lead Clinician.
Ben trained at Southampton University Medical School between 1993 and 1998. Following house jobs, he worked at a number of hospitals within Wessex before specialising in Gastroenterology.
He spent 3 years as a research fellow at the University of Bath understanding the molecular mechanisms of Barrett's oesophagus, oesophageal cancer and other gastrointestinal cancers.
He has a specialist interest in:
- Heartburn and gastro-oesophageal reflux disease
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Crohn's disease and Ulcerative Colitis
- Gastrointestinal cancers
- Barrett's Oesophagus
- Gall stones, biliary disease and endoscopic treatment
- Iron deficiency anaemia
- Unexplained pain and diarrhoea
He performs all endoscopic procedures and monitors his success rates on a regular basis:
- Gastroscopy (endoscopy of the oesophagus and stomach)
- Colonoscopy (endoscopy of the entire large bowel)
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy (endoscopy of the lower large bowel)
- ERCP (endoscopy of the biliary tree e.g. gallstones)
- Oesophageal dilatation and stenting
Ben offers appointments once a week on variable days and can arrange evening attendance.
Circle Bath Hospital is (JAG) Joint Advisory Group Accredited for its Gastrointestinal Endoscopy.
The JAG Accreditation Scheme is designed to recognise examples of exemplary standards in the sector and denotes formal recognition that an endoscopy unit has the competence to deliver against national measures set out in the Global Rating Scale Standards (GRS), a tool produced to assess how well a unit provides patient centred care.
Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist at the Royal United Hospital, Bath.
Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Indigestion and reflux
Barrett's oesophagus and gastro-oesophageal reflux
British Society of Gastroenterology
Membership of Royal College of Physicians
American Gastroenterology Association