If you need a hip operation, you’ll want to ensure the best treatment possible for hip pain - and to ensure and a quick recovery.
With world-class, state-of-the art facilities and equipment it’s no wonder that internationally-recognised consultant surgeons choose to see and treat their patients at Circle Bath.
During your stay with us, you’ll benefit from an unsurpassed level of dedicated care tailored just for you, in luxurious award-winning surroundings
We’ll carry out your operation in our dedicated Hip Unit, where our specialist surgical team will provide you with the best possible support before, during and after your operation.
Whether you need:
- hip replacement surgery
- hip replacement revision surgery
- hip arthroscopy
We’re experts in hip surgery and have an experienced team of dedicated professionals who will help get you back on your feet quickly.
Your hip is described as a ‘ball and socket’ joint. It’s formed by the upper part of your thigh bone (the femur) fitting into the part of your pelvis that looks a bit like a shallow cup (this part is called the acetabulum).
This structure gives your hip joint a good amount of mobility but unfortunately means that it’s also susceptible to wear and tear by a number of causes (both injury and bone disease). This wear and tear can result in severe pain and a lack of mobility in your hip.
At Circle Bath our two priorities with your hip surgery will be to
- treat you quickly, so that you’re not in pain any longer
- return function to your hip, so that you can carry on enjoying life as soon as possible.
Hip surgery is carried out in our dedicated Hip Unit at Circle Bath. Having this specialist unit means that all our staff are experts in their field and can focus on getting you treated and moving again quickly and safely.
When you book an appointment with us, you’ll be seen by one of our friendly orthopaedic consultants. Your consultant will discuss your symptoms with you and your previous medical history to get a clear understanding of things.
Your consultant will have a thorough, expert examination of your hip and will probably ask you to move your leg around in various ways. This will help them to understand exactly what the issues are and will allow them to see the range of motion you currently have in your hip and precisely where and when you have discomfort.
Tests to help with diagnosis
Occasionally your consultant may require certain tests carried out to aid diagnosis. In the majority of cases, we’ll be able to carry these tests out on the same day. However in some circumstances, and especially if the test requires specific preparation, we’ll need to arrange the test for another day. (Rest assured, we’ll always schedule it for the earliest possible date as we don’t want you to have an unnecessary wait).
Tests your consultant may want you to have include:
- an x-ray of the hip or pelvis
- a CT (computerised tomography) scan of your pelvis: this can help the consultant visualise your bones in 3D, giving them a clearer picture of what’s going on.
- an MRI scan of your hip or pelvis: this is particularly good when muscular or ligament and tendon issues are suspected
- a blood test: to check if there are any signs of inflammation or infection that may be causing your symptoms
These additional tests won’t necessarily be required, and your consultant may want you to have additional tests that aren’t listed above. (Any tests will be thoroughly explained to you beforehand so that you know how the tests will be carried out and why they’re being done.)
We know that having to wait for test results can be frustrating, so you will be pleased to know that we believe in giving you a quick, accurate diagnosis following your consultation.
It should be noted that sometimes after this initial meeting your consultant may decide that surgery isn’t needed and that treatment can be by some other means (e.g. physiotherapy).
If it’s determined that surgery is required, your consultant will talk you through the process thoroughly and answer any questions or concerns you may have. We want you to be fully informed before any surgery.
If you require hip surgery, we believe that you’ll find no better place to have it done than Circle Bath.
With our state-of-the-art equipment, a dedicated Hip Unit and a medical team that includes some of the top hip surgeons in the country, you can be assured that you’ll be in expert hands.
At Circle Bath we like to do things differently. That’s why, unlike many other hospitals, you’ll benefit from:
- receiving your treatment within two weeks of initial diagnosis: with no waiting lists, we can get you treated and back to good health quickly.
- being treated in our specialist Hip Unit: where every member of staff is an expert on hip surgery and can answer any questions you may have.
- our multidisciplinary team: we have built an incredibly strong and diverse team of like-minded healthcare professionals who all work together every day to achieve the best possible result for everyone we treat. Being able to draw upon such a vast amount of shared experience is of immense benefit to our team.
- a dedicated physiotherapy team: to ensure you’re able to mobilise quickly and to get back on your feet safely.
- attending Joint School: before your operation, you’ll be able to come and learn all about it from our nurses, physiotherapists and occupational therapists. You’ll also receive a handy booklet that explains the whole process and lets you know what to expect. Three months after your operation you’ll attend Joint School again for further support in a friendly, welcoming, community environment.
If you require hip surgery, why not talk to us about how we can help? At Circle Bath you’ll receive your treatment from a highly experienced hip surgeon and experience an outstanding level of care.
We know that you’d prefer not to need an operation on your hip. But if you do require one why not have it done by the very best surgeons, in the very finest hospital and with the very best possible care?