Should you require hand surgery, you can be seen and treated by one of the most experienced hand surgeons in the country.
If you require hand surgery, you’ll want to ensure you receive the best treatment possible and a good outcome.
At Circle Bath, we have surgeons who specialise exclusively in hand surgery. Many of our surgeons are eminent in their field with a wealth of experience and have significant national and international profiles.
We have no waiting lists so can quickly arrange a consultation for you. Should you require hand surgery, we can arrange for you to have the surgery promptly.
Any treatment you require will be provided in our modern hospital, with its state-of-the-art facilities and equipment.
We are experts in treating hand conditions and have a team of highly-experienced healthcare professionals who can help you get back to better hand health.
A hand surgeon uses a variety of tools to arrive at a diagnosis and then for planning customised, effective treatment for you.
Many conditions requiring hand surgery will involve your collaboration to achieve optimal results, which is why hand surgeons work closely with hand therapists.
Before surgery, it is important that you are fully committed to carrying out any hand therapy and/or splintage as advised by your consultant and hand therapist. Rehabilitation can often be as important as the surgery itself and this will be clearly explained to you, and planned for you from the outset.
The bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles and nerves in the hand and wrist can all be affected by injury or disease. Where surgery is required, Circle Bath can provide you with expert treatment and rehabilitation.
Surgical procedures carried out include:
- Surgery for congenital hand problems
- Reconstructive surgery after trauma to the hand
- Surgery to resolve problems caused by joint deterioration
- Surgery for ligament and tendon issues
- Surgery of the nerves in the hand and wrist
Should you be experiencing a significant or longstanding condition in your hands or wrists, contact us today to book a consultation with one of our experienced hand surgeons.
The hand surgeons at Circle Bath are able to manage virtually the whole spectrum of hand surgery, treating patients above the age of three. They cover congenital hand surgery, elective reconstruction after trauma, surgery of deterioration of joints, tendons and ligaments as well as surgery of the nerves.
The most important tool for a surgeon is the clinical assessment, and your consultant will carry out a thorough history and examination of the affected area. This will help them to understand any symptoms you’re experiencing and precisely where and when you feel pain or discomfort.
Occasionally your consultant may require additional investigations carried out to aid diagnosis. In the majority of cases, these will be carried out on the same day. However in some circumstances, and especially if the test requires specific preparation, we will need to arrange the test for another day. (Rest assured, we will always schedule it for the earliest possible date as we don’t want you to have an unnecessary wait).
Some of the investigations your consultant may request are:
- An X-ray of your hand and/or wrist
- An MRI scan: this is particularly good when muscular, ligament or tendon issues in the hands or wrists are suspected
- A CT scan: uses X-rays to create a three dimensional image of your hand and/or wrist
- An ultrasound: this can be useful in evaluating joint and soft tissue problems of the hand
These additional investigations won’t necessarily be required, and your consultant may want you to have additional investigations that aren’t listed above. (Any investigations will be explained to you beforehand so that you know how they will be carried out and why they are being done.) After your initial appointment, your consultant will determine the optimal treatment for you. Treatment options range from conservative management, splintage, injection, a modification of activity, through to surgery and rehabilitation.Should you require hand surgery, often it can be performed under a regional block. This means that you will be awake but your arm or hand will be anaesthetised at various levels, from shoulder to finger. General anaesthesia can be used if preferred or if recommended by your surgeon and most patients are treated as outpatients, with a minority staying overnight.All hand surgery benefits from elevation of the hand following operation. In general the hand will need to be held above the level of the heart, and this is often accomplished by use of a sling. Most hand surgery will involve resting the hand and a period of inactivity following the operation.
Where hand surgery is required, we believe you will find no better place to come than Circle Bath.
With our state-of-the-art equipment, purpose-built orthopaedic units and a healthcare team that includes some of the most experienced hand surgeons in the country, you can be assured of receiving the highest quality of care.
At Circle Bath you will benefit from:
- Treatment within two weeks of initial diagnosis: with no waiting lists, we can get your hand condition assessed, diagnosed and treated promptly.
- Treatment in our specialist orthopaedic unit: where every member of staff is is experienced in their field and can answer any questions you may have.
- Our multidisciplinary team: we have built a strong and diverse team of healthcare professionals. Being able to draw upon their shared experience means that you will always receive the very best treatment possible based on current medical knowledge and best practice.
- Our physiotherapy team: they will ensure you get the help and support with rehabilitation you will need to regain optimum mobility and function in your hand or wrist following any surgery.
- 99% of our patients would recommend us to their friends and family
- Having access to over 150 consultants in over 40 specialities: whatever is causing the symptoms in your hand, we have the medical knowledge and expertise to help treat you.
- A nationally-recognised level of care: we are a Centre of Excellence for orthopaedic surgery and our hand surgeons are nationally and internationally recognised. If you have a hand condition requiring surgery, contact us today to arrange your consultation with a hand surgeon without delay.